Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cell Phones in the Classroom: Asking for Trouble or Opening Doors to Learning?

New advancements in technology have brought about many questions for educators. It has been a challenge to balance the need to take advantage of the many new technologies and keep students engaged, while at the same time making sure to prevent unnecessary distractions and misuse of expensive "gadgets." Cell phones, especially the most recent generation of web enabled phones, are one tool that can generate both positive and negative reactions from educators. An article written in Business Week last spring discusses the educational potential of cell phone use in the classroom. The author points to "smart phones" such as the iPhone that can provide students with easy access to the web, email and various educational tools. Some colleges and universities are even developing tools that will allow students to use web enabled phones to schedule classes and keep informed about happenings on campus. Because so many people have cell phones already and the number of iPhone users is expected to continue to grow, those in the software industry are paying close attention. The fact that these phones are so much cheaper than laptops is another reason many think they are the perfect tool for the classroom.
There are, of course, negative aspects of cell phone use in the classroom. In an article used by Drew for his current event summary, the idea that iPhones have made it easier for students to cheat is discussed. The author points out the many ways that students can use their web enabled phones to pass answers, look up answers, translate for language tests, etc. How can educators combat this?
Cheating is most certainly a major problem and is something that needs to be addressed. Educators, however, must consider the benefits and try to find ways to work with these tools. Rather than simply banning phones in classrooms should educators embrace them and work with students to prevent cheating and foster ethical behavior?

204 comments:

1 – 200 of 204   Newer›   Newest»
Mrs. Nelson said...

Technology can be a great tool for teaching and learning. Blogs and wikis and podcasts give teachers the ability to create authentic, hands-on projects and assignments that can otherwise seem tedious and unrelated to a student’s daily life. Another neat usage of iPhones is flashcards that I think could be particularly useful. Unfortunately technology is very easy to abuse, as those of you researching music downloading know, and it does cause distractions. Take our class for example; it is disruptive to hear the blips of sticky keys and disrespectful for you to be looking at Facebook or AIM or another class on Moodle. Maybe these tools should only be used for college students. As for cheating, I have heard of other schools who have instituted honesty codes. The Prep has had problems with cheating in the past but after stricter policies were created the problems seem to have lessened. I find it interesting that our Jesuit/Catholic morals do not guide us in making wiser choices.
I think the idea that the “devices can be used as much for learning as for entertainment” (Business Week) is still a new concept that needs to be better understood before the devices could be used in the classroom. I have a question, do you “want a 24-7 learning environment” (Business Week)? Wouldn’t a little downtime be a good thing?
That someone believes that “cheaters are the most successful people in life” (Apache PowWow) shocked and saddened me.

Wardell G. said...

Ms. Conmy,
I believe that it is appropriate to allow students to use their cell phones in class because as you stated in your post, it is a new advancement in technology which helps us a lot. Most people look at a cell phone as toy or a device that just keeps you in touch with your friends but I think it is something much more. To me, my cell phone is very important. I have a lot of information in it such as my scheduled and past events like doctor appointments and things of greater importance like my Social Security Number. Cell phones make information like this easier to reach.
In the Article entitled, "Cell Phones Make Headway in Education", it states that Abilene Christian University is going to hand out iPhones to a number of its freshmen and I believe it will increase the quality of their work in and out of class. Other schools in Michigan, Maryland, North Carolina and Texas have also come to think the same way. It is thought that these phones are the new backpacks.
Even though there are also negatives about this plan, I think they out weigh the positives by a lot. Cell Phones are here to stay so we should use them to their FULLEST ability.

Frank T. said...

Ms. Conmy,
I am neither for or against the thought of allowing students to be able to use their cell phones during class.
The article "Cell Phones Make Headway in Education" makes a couple of good points: if used properly, a cell phone can be a great educational asset. Cell phones that have internet access have the same basic tools as laptops, not to mention cheaper. Since most of us, if not all of us, already have a cell phone, being allowed to use them in class would let students to easily access files, homework, etc. Teachers could also easily distribute any hand outs via online methods, saving paper and cutting down on the time it actually takes to print the multiple copies that they would manually hand out.

Frank T. said...

Wardell,
Although students may say that the use of their cell phones will be solely for learning, they may actually be doing something else. In "New iPhones have made cheating easier for students", it states that students that are allowed to use cell phones during class may cheat. Since there is no way to possibly monitor every student using his cell phone, it would be very hard to prevent cheating. If there is no way to prevent cheating, the thought of cheating will spread and will constantly happen. Even if there are consequences for using a cell phone to cheat, students will always continue to finding more subtle ways to cheat.

Wardell G. said...

Frank,
Everything you mentioned is true. I still think during class cell phones should be permitted but limited. I definitely think that school policies should be stricter just to keep the usage reasonable. If there is going to be a test on a certain day, cell phones should not be out and if they are seen, the teacher should report it as cheating. I would hope that most mature young men or women would not try to engage in cheating. It is obvious that some people make bad decision as Mrs. Nelson said but they then have the opportunity to learn.
All of your points are very convincing but I still think it will be appropriate to use cell phones in the classrooms.

Stephen S. said...

Mrs. Conmy
Although I believe there can be various ways to combat students cheating on their cell phones, I still think it should not be allowed. Sure, the advances in technology are great, but I don't think we will fully be able to take advantage of the technology until the technology itself knows its own limitations when it needs to. Nothing can stop the curiosity of the human mind, so the only thing that could stop us would be the technology knowing when to stop us.

Stephen S. said...

Wardell G,
How do you limit 20 kids in one class-room from doing what they want? The possibilities in the first place are endless, and there is no way that only one teacher could take control. Just look at computer class, we need two teachers just to make sure we aren't doing something we shouldn't be while they teach, think about one teacher taking control of 20 students.

Wardell G. said...

Stephen,
I understand that it is hard to control kids of our age and maturity level but I am sure if teachers were to give more leeway and let kids express themselves a little more then I don't think there would be a problem in authority.
I understand that there are going to be perks in something like this but if given a suitable amount of time, I am sure it would work out well.
With that being said, I still stand by my first statement that phones should be permitted in classrooms.

Mrs. Nelson said...

Frank T and Wardell G,
Using phones to reduce paper usage is a great idea. But we already have technology that does that - Moodle. Are we just using phones because they are the latest/greatest innovation or do they actually do something different or better than what exists?

Thomas G. said...

Ms. Conmy,
I believe that using cell phones in the classroom would be a great idea. Students can use them for research, looking up assignments, and communicating with teachers. Also the phones would be easier to use then large bulky laptops. The issue of cheating is important but it would be easy to fix. Teachers are worried that students will share and tell each other answers during the tests. If they are so worried why not let students have these devices during normal class, but during tests have the students place the cell phones on the teachers desk. The students can retrieve them when they are finished with the test.

Thomas G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas G. said...

Stephen S.,
I disagree with your point of view, I understand that it would be hard to control all of the students but the good outweighs the bad. The students would need to grow up a bit but this should not be a problem for MOST students.
At our age we need to be able to use our self-control and this would be the perfect time.

Stephen S. said...

Thomas G.
Do you think that everyone or at least MOST people in our class do what they're supposed to be doing on their computers? The answer is no, so I disagree with your disagreement.

Ryan W said...

Ms. Comny,
Using cell phones in the classroom is a great idea!!! Though people are able to cheat easily, it is a great tool that will allow classrooms to interact better and maybe even get kids to want to learn more and be more involved. But the cahnce of cheating is greatly increased and the teacher must develope a great trust in all their students.

Thomas G. said...

Stephen S.,
Most of the students means that everyone is capable of behaving only some of the kids in our class need to grow up. They are in highschool maybe they should act like it for once. Also our teachers know who these students sre so they can root out the trouble makers.

Ryan W said...

Stephen Scanlon,
Though most kids do not do what they are supposed to do, when it comes to cheating and a chance of being exspelled from this great school, kids would more likely be more respectful and not take that chance.

Stephen S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan W said...

Thomas G,
I agree with what you are saying. Most kids will have the self control to not take advantage of the opportunity to cheat. The kids that do not have the self control, will suffer the consequences.

Kyle M said...

Ms. Conmy,
I think that using cell phones in the classes is beneficial. Students would be able to accomplish would they would be able to do on a laptop. The only difference is that cell phones are cheaper and more convienent. Instead of carrying a laptop around, you could just put your phone in your pocket and take it out when you need it. Cell phones should deffinatley be allowed in class.

Stephen S. said...

Ryan W.

People take that risk now and they don't even use cell phones. So putting trust in the students even though they already do it? This means that it will only get worse.

Kevin Ferry said...

Ms. Conmey
I believe that using cell phones in class is a bad idea. Students can become very easaily destracted and take advantage of these privaleges. These days kids get to caught up in texting and other things and take advantage of the little freedom they have left

Stephen S. said...

Thomas G.

You just basically stated what you just said in the last post. The chance of the kids taking that responsibility is minimal, so putting trust in them is harder.

James Udovich said...

Ms. Conmy,
I beleive that you make a good point on the fact that cellphones are new forms of technology that can have a beneficial support on academics. Cellphones are a great way to spread information to people who are unable to get that information otherwise. With the use of a cellphone, students would still be able to get a lesson even if he were sick.

Kyle M said...

Ryan W,
I agree that cell phone use in classrooms would make students appreciate school more and have a greater passion to learparticipate more in class. I also agree that teachers would have to trust their students because of the chance of cheating.

Kevin Ferry said...

James U,
I understand your theory of having the cell phones in class would allow kids to find information not known to us otherwise, but I think it would be more reasonable to have students just continue to use laptops as they are already permitted to use. Laptops offer an unlimited source of information and could be used for almost anything a cell phone can.

Frank T. said...

Thomas G,
While putting your cell phone on the teacher's desk during a test, there is one flaw with that. What's to keep the student from lying and saying that he left his cell phone at home and later pull it out during the test? If there were some way around this, your idea of putting cell phones on the teacher's desk during a test would be easily implemented and would most likely allow us to use our phones in class. It would also take a great deal of trust between the teacher and his/her students.

Thomas G. said...

James U.,
I agree totally with what you are saying. These web enabled phones are the newest technology why not use it. Kids who are absent can catch up easier, and work in the calssroom on the computer can be eliminated for the most part. Why use those big bulky computers when they aren't necessary.

Thomas G. said...

Frank T.,
You do make a good point but the fact is if a student tries to cheat during the test the teacher will more likely than not be able to see them doing it. Also if the student lies and then cheats consequences can be put into action. Say if they do it one time their privalages to using a phone in class at any time will be taken away. For a second try exspullsion is an option. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Thomas G. said...

Stephen S.,
Yes, but as these kids begin to take risks they will feel the consequences. Seeing on of their fellow classmates being exspelled will not encourage them to cheat it will do the opposite. Let the first few students cheat and when they are caught the rest of the student body will know that the teachers mean business.

Thomas G. said...

Kevin F.,
I understand your point of view but laptops are big and cumbersome. It would make life a lot easier to just use a handheld cell phone rather than a 5 pound peice of machinery! Also laptops could still be used but cell phones could be used too.

Wardell G. said...

Mrs. Nelson,
I think phones do have something better which will enhance learning. It has mobility. The statement you made is a very valid point but you are not eligible to take a computer everywhere and with the cost of laptops, there are only a few people who can really afford them. This idea of internet capability on a cell phone minimizes the amount of money you have to spend out of your pocket but increases the possibilities you will have.

DanteG said...

Ms. Conmy,
I believe wholeheartedly that cell phones are distracting during class. I also believe that it is possible for students to cheat with the use of them. However, I do believe that, with the correct authoritative enforcement, cell phones could be extremely useful in the classroom. As it was stated in the article titled, "Cell Phones Make Headway in Education", the cell phones at Abilene Christian University in Texas are being used for podcasts and handouts for the class. Even the instructors are using them to take roll and other related things. What I am trying to say is that cell phones can be useful in the classroom, but for a specific purpose, at a specific time, and under the direction of the teacher/instructor.

DanteG said...

Wardell,
I understand that cell phones are here to stay, and I agree with you. However, when you say that people should use them to their FULLEST ability, I think that is too much.
Their FULLEST ability can include cheating for students in class. As it said in the article, "New iPhones have made Cheating Easier for Students", a student could tell a teacher that he is relaxing to music when he is really listening to a podcast with all he needs to know. A student even made a statement that I could not agree with more. He says, "You can't stop a cheater. People that are gonna cheat, are gonna cheat. There's nothing anyone can do about it."
That is why I believe that, although cell phones are here to stay, they should not be used to their FULLEST ability, but they should be used for anything constructive.

Matthew Del Signore said...

Ms. Comny, I believe that cell phones should be allowed in classrooms. Cell phones have become and essential part of the lives of many teenagers. They allow teenagers not only to keep in touch with their friends, but also to learn. They are also needed in case of an emergency. God forbid something bad happened th student would need to be informed. The easy way to enable this is to enable the use of cell phones in classrooms. Teachers should not be worried that cell phones are used for cheating. To prevent cheating, a teacher could work out a system so that the students cannot use their cell phones during a test. The teacher might tell the students to put their cell phones in a box that the teacher collects and hands back to them when they are finished. The use of cells phones during class should be scolded as much as the student would be scolded for whispering to the person sitting next to them. The use of a cell phone disrupts the class less than talking to another classmate. It is easy to say that cell phones should be allowed in classrooms.

Darien B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
matt m said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wardell G. said...

Dante,
When I said that cell phones should be used to their fullest ability, of course I mean in a positive way. I should have clarified that.
You said that a student could tell a teacher that he is relaxing to music when he is really listening to a podcast with all he needs to know but I highly doubt this. Personally, I do not think too many teachers are going to let their students listen to music especially when there is an assignment to be done and the students are obviously not finished.
The statement about stopping cheating is true because if people want to cheat, they are going to find a way. Cheating is going to happen rather we are permitted to use cell phones in class or not but to make cell phones the blame is inaccurate. Hopefully, students will figure out that the teachers mean business and if they are caught cheating they will have to suffer the consequences.
I still feel that cell phones would make a big impact in schools and should be permitted in the classrooms.

Mrs. McManus said...

Gentlemen,
I'm enjoying reading your comments; you have lots of great ideas and it seems like some of you are very passionate about this topic. Let's keep in mind respect for one another and avoid talking specifically about our class. Make comments about education in general. How could cell phones be used in any classroom?
Something to think about...some educators have suggested that cheating may need to be redefined. Maybe we should think about what skills are important. Is it important to memorize the capital of Indonesia, for example or the current President of Zimbabwe? Or is the new, 21st century skill of locating that information using technology a more important skill? Could web enabled cell phones in classrooms help students find information quickly and therefore generate more intelligent, thought provoking conversations because no one will be worried about memorizing? What do you think?

AlbertInn123 said...

Wardell G,
I agree with you and I disagree. First off, I am all about augmenting technology in classroom but i believe cell phone's in class is downright disruptive. On the otherhand, as read in this article (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/16/technology/16phone.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Cell%20Phones%20for%20Learning&st=cse) it suggests that cellphone companys are trying to get smartphones to make students smarter, particularlly in math. In addition, cell phone's in class can be a revolutionary tool but i believe most kids aged 14-18 are too sophmoric for this to take place.

Ed K. said...

Ms. Conmy,
I think that the use of cell phones should be permitted in classrooms. They should be permitted because you can use your cell phone as a computer and obtain beneficial information for the classroom topic or discussion. The use of cell phones would be a major adjustment for students to use. We would have to be able to use them for them for the right reasons.

Ed K. said...

Kyle M,
I agree with you because all cell phone these days can be used as a source of the internet. The only thing about the use of cell phones in classroom is that students would have to be responsible and use them for the right reasons. Also they would have to not text or do other things on their cell phones.

Stephen S. said...

Kevin Ferry,

If people use labtops in class then the teacher can not tell what they're looking at because the screen faces in the opposite direction. If we used these to help us take tests and etc. then it would be even worse than using cell phones. Although I'm against cell phones in class, labtops are only acceptable at certain times.

Kyle M said...

Ed Kozubal,
Thank you for agreeing with me. Your right about texting in class too. As i already said that teachers would have to trust the students and this goes with what you said about texting in class. By the way I am sitting next to you right now :).

Ryan W said...

Ed Kozubal,
I agree with your responsability clause. We need to make sure we can trust the kids with their cell phones in class, it will be a big responsability.

Ryan W said...

Kyle M,
I'm glad we all agree. Kids using cell phones in the classroom can be a big hit and have a helpful advantage for learning. But we need to be mature and not cheat or use the phones for inapropriate use.

James Udovich said...

Ryan W,

I beleive that you make a good point in saying that cell phones can help in the classroom, but i have to disagree with you. The fact that teachers cannot always trust students proves the danger of cheating with the use of the cell phones. the use of cellphones in class will cause teachers to be uncomfortable with security.

Johntel O. said...

Ms. Conmy,
I believe that it is inappropriate for students to use cell phones in the class room. This will cause constant suspicion from the teacher to the students. Students could possibly cheat whenever they felt like. The only way to stop students from cheating if they were allowed to use cell phones is to continuioisly watch over them. This would be far too dramatic of a situation to deal with in the class room.

Ryan J. said...

Ms. Conmy,
I think that phones out in the class room would just ask for to many problems in high school or middle school. But i do think that in some college classes they may be very effective with the use of iphones. They could provide easy e-mail access and internet access. In high school I just do not think that cell phones would work. There is already enough cheating in school and I think that phones would just make things worse. But if students do not use phones like the iphone or blackberry's or any phone with internet access there is no point. I think that many students would just use theire phone to text and get answers from others.

Kyle M said...

James Udovich,
I agree with you about how teachers are can not always trust students. Distrustful students would be more likely to cheat, and teachers would be a lot more suspicious with their students. Teachers would be constantly walking around the room to make sure that students are doing what they are supposed to, instead of using their cells phones for things that are unrelated to school.

Darien B said...

James,
I agree with James and Ms. Conmy in the case of a accident, sickness, or just plain laziness of a student automatic text messages should be sent to the absent students. I understand the internet usage of phones is rapidly growing but once again being a teenager and I student-athlete sometimes I feel too lazy to go onto "moodle" and try to figure out what I missed. Responsibility is not thought with this method however the student will be benefited more so by no missing assignments...also who said that this method had to be used for all classes, throughout each quarter you, the student, should be able to choose which couple of classes (3 or 4) you would like to be notified on via text message.

Keith H. II said...

Ms. Conmy,
I think that cell phones could be useful but that it will be too hard to control a whole class full of students. Maybe in the future there will be a way for the teacher to prevent cheating. But for now i believe that school is better off the way it is and that even computers cause a distraction in classes today. I think that schools should stick to paper and pens until other forms of teaching are critiqued

James Udovich said...

Frank t,

I beleive that you make a good point in what you say about the dangers of cheating with the use of cellphones, and I would like to support your comment. The security problems that come with the use of cellphones in class is great because of the lack of ability to monitor the students' use with the cellphones. But the use of cellphones in class can prove to have many advantages for use, such as texting quizes and spread of information for homework and upcoming events.

Jose Rosado said...

Ms Conmy,
I agree that phones are great tools for learning. They allow faster access to the web. Why use computers when you have cell phones. As years go by the quality of technology in cellphones are dramatically increasing. Although students might decide to text or cheat, its their fault if they fail. Overall, cell phones are great tools for education.

matt b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
matt b said...

Ms. Conmy
I think that cell phones could be of great use in the class room but it also brings negatives inside and outside the classroom. There are also high risks that the schools will have to take if they do allow students to have cell phones. Yes smart phones could be use as a way to be able to bring up the internet in class and help communication between student and teacher. Though having smart phones in class allows students to cheat on test, be distracted by other non school related item on the phones, and be able to text with each other and others during class.
I also think that these phones would bring school to a whole different level. It would allow student teacher contact outside of school on a more personal device than a computer or laptop, for these students would most likely have these phones on their person at all time. I think that this brings school too far into a student’s personal life.

matt b said...

Thomas G,

I think that your idea about collecting the laptops during classes that in involve a test that day is a great idea. It keeps kids from cheating on tests and it would solve one problem of having smart phones in the class room. There is still the problem of what kids do during a normal class.
I think that high school students are not responsible enough to be able to retain from texting and playing games during class, we even do it now all the time when were not supposed to have phones out. But I do think that smart phones could be used in collages everywhere. Smart phones would work better in collages because they are smaller and easier to have on your person than laptop. i also think that collage students would be more responsible than we are, for they know that if they don't pay attention that they will fail the course.

Frank T. said...

James Udovich,
The use of cellphones in class for texting quizzes and spreading information for homework and upcoming events is a good idea, but we already have moodle for such things, as pointed out by Mrs. Nelson earlier. However, I think that using cell phones for such things would be much more efficient because most of us check our cell phones more often than moodle, am I right?

Laurence B said...

I say cell phones should be aloud in class because like they stated in the Business Week article the laptop creates a barrier and plus it easy to get distracted on laptops too and to cheat but with cell phones no matter how advance they get laptops will always be easier to cheat like in 7th grade my science teacher gave us a worksheet if you went on ask.com and type in one question the answer to each one was on their because it was a sheet off the internet now had that had been a test and we were aloud to use laptops if we had them then everyone would be able to cheat if they didn't get one question.

Even in the article against cell phones gives a good reason (in my opinion) to why cell phones should be allowed the nurse said
"You can't stop a cheater. People that are gonna cheat, are gonna cheat. There's nothing anyone can do about it," so whether you have a cell phone or a computer or nothing a cheater will cheat so you cant stop it no matter how hard you try to stop them they will do it anyway so therefore we should allow cell phones in the classroom. And if a student doesn't have a smart phone the school should supply one since it is cheaper as Ms. Comny and the Business Week article stated.

Laurence B said...

I agree with Wardell G. on the fact that he said cell phones aren't going anywhere soon so I also believe we should use them to their fullest ability because its not like companies that are thriving right are going to stop producing cell and stop making money just because some kids decided to use them to cheat that is more up to the school. Cell phones can be used for much more than just cheating in school like they stated in Apache PowWow you can get a translator app on your iPhone now you can use that cheat or use it when your studying to help you understand it better or if you forgot your textbook at school and you don't know the word then it would be very useful.

Laurence B said...

Mrs. Nelson,

commenting on you second post, even though we have Moodle the point that I think Frank T. was trying to make is that even though we have Moodle we can't use it for everything and not every teacher goes on it. Honestly we cant even use Moodle all the time and I'm sure teachers wouldn't want to lug those laptops up just so we can use when we can just take the phone out of our pocket right there and do whatever they need us to when they need us to.

Jose Rosado said...

Kevin F,

You said that the use of cell phones in class would be very distracting. I believe using computers is as distracting as using cell phones. When you are using a computer you can go on facebook and any other website when the teacher has his/her back to the class. When there are 25 people in the classroom the teacher cannot keep track on what website everyone is on. Therefore, computers are as distracting as cell phones.

Jose Rosado said...

James U.

I am aware that cell phones can be easily used for cheating and other forms of academic dishonesty. But I still believe that computers post the same problem. Through chatting a student can get answers for homework or information about a quiz or test.

Jose Rosado said...

Steve S.

You said that we cannot use technology unless it has some limitations. I agree with you on this, but I still think that the technology in computers also posts an problem. For example, touch screen laptops in the future will post a problem. In order to use a touch screen laptop you do not need a keyboard. The technological advancements in computers post a similar problem to that of cell phones.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Comny,

I absoulty agree with you. A cell phone during class can be a big benefit to help people look up things for class. Cheating would be the big thing someone would have to look for. How would educators solve this problem? By not letting student use their cell phone during a test and/or quiz. Students could only use their cell phone during times of research and note taking.

Anonymous said...

James Udovich,

I agree that cell phones during class can help people get their homework if they are sick and couldn't go to school or share their information students got for a group project. The thing is that people already do these things when they are not in class.

Anonymous said...

Stephen Scanlon,

I disagree with you. The teacher would be able to see what students are doing on their laptops, all they would have to do is walk around and look at what they are doing. Cell phones and laptops would be horrible if they were used for a test. The things laptops and cell phones can help students do are note taking and research.

Anonymous said...

Jose R.,

Getting answers for homework is already a problem for school. Most students, not all students, probably already text or call their peers to see if they have the answer to a problem.

DanteG said...

Jose R.,
I agree with you in that computers post the same problems as cell phones. Most cell phones have internet access anyway, so cell phones are sort of hand-held computers. However, most classrooms do not contain computers do use unless the student uses a laptop. That means the big worry for teachers is cell phones. For example, students can text or call each other for the answers on a Moodle quiz.

Wardell G. said...

Albert,
I agree that a lot of kids between the ages of 14-18 are very sophomoric but with that being said, the majority of them are not. Periodically, kids are expected to mess up. It will not happen too often though. After reading the article you referred to, it seemed like the teachers trusted their students to give them a cell phone and I believe if teachers did this more students would feel more comfortable. Consequently, I believe the students would react to the change positively.

DanteG said...

Wardell,
I agree with you greatly, but not fully. The one thing that I agree with you the most on is that if teachers gave the students cell phones like the ones in the article you referred to that the students would act positively and be more comfortable. However, I truly believe that a big group of students will take advantage of this trust. For instance, if the teacher gives a class assignment on the computer, don't you think that at least one or two students will go on Facebook or MySpace or some other website? The same is for cell phones. Students can take advantage of the privilege of being able to have cell phones in class to IM, play games, or go on Facebook or MySpace, thus causing a distraction to the class.

Wardell G. said...

Dante,
Your statements are true but if a student does these things it shows the students’ participation in class and inability to get his or her work done. I am pretty sure that the teachers will soon pick up on the bad habits of student and express concern to the principle about the remaining days in the particular school he or she attends.

Anthony Capelli said...

Dear Mrs. Conmy,

It would definitely be challenging to trust students with cell phones in the classroom. Kids try to cheat and look up answers on their phones when we're not allowed to have them out, so how can you expect them to avoid the temptation of doing so when their phones ARE allowed out? I do, however, have an alternate suggestion. Perhaps the classroom could be built so cell phone reception cannot get through. Also, make sure that there is only one internet connnection available. Make sure that the only sites you want the students going to are the sites open for access. Even if it's three sites, that's fine. When the lesson is over, switch up the sites that can be used. This way, a student can only use the internet in a way the teacher wants him to. Cell phones would then become an educational tool, only.

David B said...

Dear Conmy,

I completely agree with Anthony Capelli's view on this proposed idea of cell phones in the classroom. Even in our computer class, laptops are being misused in ways that aren't educational, and todays cell phones are becoming nothing less than small portable laptops. If cell phones were to be allowed in school classrooms, unless proper measures like Anthony referred to, would only become a distraction because of their capabilities and would even be detrimental to a student's grades if they can't concentrate. Also, without cell phones, it would be harder for a student to cheat and this is always a good thing, because students are already using cell phones to cheat even when they are not allowed. I just cannot think of a good use of cell phones in the classroom without proper measures and precautions.

Laurence B said...

I agree with Jose when he says it is the students fault if they fail if they had prepared the night before then he wouldn't have to cheat and would only use the phone the way the teacher wants him to and if during a test we take the phone out then it should only be for a calculator and the teacher should check to make sure.

Smchugh said...

Ms. Conmy,
Although cellphone technology has grown lately, and some of those are very useful. I do not think cell phones are good thing to use in class. For the reason that you can never know what they are dong. They could be texting, or going on the internet. I would think most people can use cell phones better than computers and that information could be gone very quickly. While on a laptop since the screen is larger than a cell phone you can tell what they are doing and stop it. Also, since they are school laptops you can monitor what and what not to go on so it is much easier than cell phone use.

Smchugh said...

Jose,

I do agree that cell phones are very useful. However i have to disagree about how they are better than computers. Maybe cell phones can go on the internet and found out the same stuff computers can. Computers are more school friendly for the reason that you can type research papers, they are actually allowed in classes etc.

Tom D said...

Ms. Conmy,
I think that using cell phones in class would just be distracting to the teacher and student. Because they are so small, it would be very hard for a teacher to moderate what the student is doing on the cell phone. I think that having the privilege to use a cell phone in class would just distract the student, and it would also be very distracting for a teacher to teach a class that is all looking at their cell phones.
Although, as the article in Business Week says, it is like having a bookbag in a small device. It would be very efficient and smart cell phones also have many useful features that can be used in the classroom.
Overall, I do not think that mixing a cell phone with education would be a proficient plan.

Tom D said...

Frank T,
As you said in your first comment, I agree that because most of us have a cell phone, being allowed to use them in class would allow students to get files and homework. However, if a student has a basic cell phone, some of the features that allow you to do more advanced things could not be possible.

Johntel O. said...

Laurence B.,
You make a stong point in saying that a cheater is going to cheat, but I have to disagree with other parts of your statement. Saying that regardless a cheater will cheat is not a good reason to allow cell phones in the class. Cell phones would make it easier for students to cheat and not get caught, if they cheat without a cell phone or laptop, at least they can be caught.

Johntel O. said...

Jose Rasado,
I agree with you, but not completely. Laptops would work far much better in the class room than phones. Phones would create many distraction in the class, especially with ringtones if someone accidentally calls a students phone. Laptops would cause less of a distraction/scene in this type of situation.

Johntel O. said...

Frank T.,
I agree with your statement. Cell phones would help in the classroom alot with handing out assignments via internet. Cell phones could not only help the classroom, but they can be energy effecient and "go green" as America is now syaing. The use of cell phones in class could really help financially for the teachers.

Smchugh said...

Thomas G,

I do not agree with your statement that cheating would be easy to change. For the reason that it is not because some people may badly rely on it. but on the other hand I do think placing the cell phones in the front of the class is a good idea if we were able to use them in school.

Colin Dabagian said...

Mrs. Comny,
I think that the use of phones in class should be at a minimal. The reasons to back me up is exactly like you said because people could use them to cheat on test etc.
In this article it says how professors have mixed feelings on cell phone usage during class. Jared Smythe whom is a junior in college says that if your sounds are off and not distracting anyone it should be allowed.
This is the link to the article:
http://media.www.cardinalpointsonline.com/media/storage/paper1064/news/2008/04/25/News/Cell-Phones.In.Class.Raise.Questions-3348103.shtml

Colin Dabagian said...

Anthony Capelli,
I agree with you when you talked about not being able to trust students. I think that is a huge factor because I am sure as a teacher you would want to make sure everyone is listening and taking notes. Last year in 8th grade my teachers would collect cell phones and then give them back at the end of the day. I think this is a good method but it isn't necessary especially because of how many students are in high school.

Colin Dabagian said...

Mrs. Nelson,
I am with you 100% when you say that iPhones can be useful. The only thing is say you had to hand in a paper and for some reason you typed it on your iPhone. In my english class I have to submit my essays to my teacher using turnitin.com. Turnitin.com takes everything on the internet and then scans your paper to make sure you don't plagiarize. If you typed it in on your iPhone it would be a frustrating process trying to submit if because iPhones might need a lot more time to submit then if you used a computer.

Matthew Del Signore said...

I agree with Colin. If the volume of a cell phone is off and it is not distracting other student then they should be allowed in a classroom. If a student is using his or her cell phone and not paying attention then it would reflect on his or her grades. It would be no different from a student just not paying attention because the information the teacher is teaching is "boring."

Colin Dabagian said...

Matthew Del Signore,
I think you are right when you say if someone needed to be informed of something a cell phone is the quickest way to contact a person. But the reason I disagree is the person that is trying to contact the other person could just call the school and then just ask for that student. That way is also a strong way to contact a person.

Smchugh said...

Anthony Capelli,

I do agree with your statement about how students are tempted to cheat and we can not be trusted. However i making the room with out cell phone connection is a good idea. But, how would we do that and if we did wouldn't that cost a lot of money, considering all the rooms we have. But, the idea about locking the sites is good, which is a great way for cell phones can be an educational tool.

Anthony Capelli said...

Sean McHugh,

Thank you. I believe that it would not cost much money. Perhaps a call to Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile networks asking them to shut down their service in the vicinity of the school during class hours would be worthwhile. With all the technology today, perhaps such a thing is possible. Maybe just a reception blocker at the top of the school would do the trick. Or thicker walls. There are endless possibilities. In today's world, anything is possible. Such a task does not seem too far out of reach.

carl d said...

Ms. Conmy,
I found this post very interesting. I believe that this is a great idea, not only for looking up things but to also inform the students incase there is something happening on campus that they should know about. I belive that there should be a cut off switch to all of the phones in the class room during any sort of testing. This will make sure no one can cheat. Over all, I really thought this was a well thought out post and it really informed me about this topic.

Tom D said...

Matthew Del Signore,
I agree with you when you said that if a student is using his cell phone in class and not paying attention then it would reflect on his or her grades. I think that it will only hurt him, and distract him from the lesson being taught. This will affect his grades as a result of using a cell phone during class.

Tom D said...

Laurence,
I agree with you when you say that it is the students fault if they fail, and that they should have prepared the night before, then he wouldn't have to cheat. However, It is easy to cheat on a cell phone if they are allowed in class, so what is there stopping a student from doing it? It is much easier to take the easy way and not study, but there is no way of making the student choose to do the right thing and be prepared.

Stephen S. said...

Yuhana K.

I agree, and thats what i was saying. Using a cell phone or a labtop during a test is a terrible idea.

Anonymous said...

Technology is an easy thing to abuse yes but if put to proper use, teaching would be simpler and more of a hands on experiment. Though technology could be easily misused it still would be beneficial to begin applying it in classrooms now. For example we could use i Phones or some other technology that allows us to reach the internet with ease and use take it out for quick use then place them away later. So to me, Cell phones and other widely used technology not being used because of fear of being misused is not a good enough reason. Instead of arguing whether technology should be applied in the teaching curricular or not we should put efforts towards starting to use them now and finding ways that would allow safe usage of them with out distractions of being misused.

Peter DP said...

Steve Scanlon,
I agree that taking a test using a cell phone or a laptop would be a terrible idea. It would be too easy to cheat, but that does not mean that they are not a useful tool to use in the classroom. Smart phones such as the iphone can take the learning experience to the next level. I think that student should permitted to use phones in class at appropriate times.

Darien B said...

Anthony (Big Daddy Capellsta,

You bring up a good point as far as basically putting a block up during class for electronical devices. I agree with this idea and if it is possible to follow through with this idea. It will take away the urge of texting or doing something that is unproductive during class time. Therefore all attention will be given to the teacher and not some girl from Merion.

Anonymous said...

Yuhana
I believe that many forms of technology such as cell phones and laptops use could be limited to educational in class use only. Like our school limiting access to sites that are not school focused, though most sites that allow online games are also unblocked. What could be possible is a limited internet range, such technology is not impossible. Were we create websites that are school related such as what Mr. Pinto does with mrpintopage.blogspot.com. this would restrict the internet access to only school related things.

Anonymous said...

Yuhana
I believe that many forms of technology such as cell phones and laptops use could be limited to educational in class use only. Like our school limiting access to sites that are not school focused, though most sites that allow online games are also unblocked. What could be possible is a limited internet range, such technology is not impossible. Were we create websites that are school related such as what Mr. Pinto does with mrpintopage.blogspot.com. this would restrict the internet access to only school related things.

matt m said...

Ms. Comny,
Technology such as the wonderful device of a portable cellular phone can be used in a classroom in many ways, yes. They can help us on certain assignments and be a good form of communication for the students to socialize. "Thomas G", I agree with you when you say that bulky computers aren'y necessary. Your right. And JUAN66OMEN, I like your point about how iPhones allows us to reach the internet with ease and for quick use of the internet. Lastly, "Anthony 'Big Daddy Cappellsta' Capelli" I agree with your statement how cell phone reception can be an issue. With all of these ideas and more, my own opinion is that cell phones would not be the greatest idea for classrooms. Why? Cell phones can be expensive. Once you get away from a basic plan, you can be hit with extra charges for going over your minutes, sending text messages, buying ringtones, and using the internet. Even with fees for text messages as low as 10 cents each, that can quickly add up if you have an average kid that sends 10 to 20 text messages a day! And that doesn't include the cost of a replacement phone if you lose your phone! That's bizzare man! I mean not all of us have that kind of money. Money Is A Major Issue, or M.I.A.M.I if you wish, is my catch pharase I go by everyday as I step my feet out of bed. (See my comment on "Free Music Downloads-How they Affect Everyone in the Music Industry" if you would like to see where M.I.A.M.I originated). Anywho, texting rates do apply and they will most definately go up if kids use cell phones in classrooms. Another reason we shouldn't have them in class is because some people may not have phones, for many reasons. They may feel left of of the assignment and researching if cellular devices are allowed because you can't just borrow a cell phone, know what I'm sayin'? Also, Other charges can include up to 45 cents a minute for additional minutes over your rate plan, about $.99 to $2.50 for a ringtone, downloadable games for about $.99 to $3.99 each, 1 cent per kilobyte for using the internet on your phone, and other storage rooms that take up phone space and destract you very much! That's insane man!!! So Mrs. Nelson and Ms. Comny, listen to Mifka when I say we should not have cell phone use in classes! So kids, instead of waking up everyday like " Ohh, another day, another dollar.", we don't make money! We are students. So don't blow your parents money away by using your cellular phones in class! Because once you have children, you'll be paying the bills as well! Thanks man!

Peace, Love, Serenity.

- Matthew J. Mifka

Student at St. Joseph 's Preparatory School
1733 Girard Avenue

Philadelphia , PA 19130

E: matthew_mifka@sjprep.org

"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply.

Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God."

McBride S. said...

Ms. Conmy, I agree with you that they would be a great tool to use in the classroom because they are so much cheaper than laptops. Also, if the users are using iTouchs, they need to acess the internet. The schools can block anywebsites that coud be used as cheating.

McBride S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter DP said...

Mrs. Nelson,
I agree, I think technology like an iphone could be a great tool for learning. They are far more affordable and coveintly smaller than a large and expensive laptop. They could revolutionize learning by allowing access to the internet during class for research and other things. Using cell phones in class is a great idea.

McBride S. said...

I also agree with Thomas Dooner that having a cell phone has its limitaions and could reflect on their grades. But it could also help them understand the material better if they looked up the topic that they were discussing during class.

Peter DP said...

Frank T,
I think using cell phones to go paperless would be wonderful idea. According to woodconsumption.org the world produces 300 million tons of paper each year. Nearly 30 million acres of forest is cut down annually, about the size of Pennsylvania. Minimizing paper consumption in the classrooms would reduce the amount of paper consumed each year. Going paperless would really help the environment and make the world a better place by doing so.

McBride S. said...

Ryan W, I also agree that responsibility plays a key role. The teachers could also walk around to make sure no one is cheating.

McBride S. said...

I believe that it should not be iPhones allowed in classrooms but iTouches because the iTouch has to use the school server in which the teachers are in charge. With the iPhone, it uses AT and T's internet.

Laurence B said...

Johntel O.

They still could be caught with or without a cell phone and students can't always be caught without cell phones or laptops. And I noticed everyone who wants to not allow cell phones bring up laptops those are already allowed so are you saying that we shouldn't allow those either in schools. I don't think cheating is a big factor of having cell phones I think the bigger factor is the distraction it would. Believe regardless of whatever is allowed in school cheaters will cheat , cell phones can make cheating easier but if we find a solution of preventing the cheating then that is when cell phones should be allowed.

Peter DP said...

Mcbride S.,
I agree that using cell phones in class would allow students to have access to information that would help them to understand the lesson much better. Using cell phones in class would allow students to have easy access to information that would help them to excel in learning.

Chris R said...

Ms. Conmy,

I agree with you when you said that cell phones in classrooms generate both positive and negative reactions. The positive coming out of cell phones in the classroom is an easy accessability to the internet at the touch of a finger or a click. The negative coming out of cell phones in the classroom are cheating, internet abuse, and distraction. Students would be tempted to cheat most likely by texting. Also, students would be tempted to go on facebook or another site while the teacher is teaching, this would cause the student to be distracted from his or her work and possibly drop their grades.

Peter DP said...

Having cell phones in class is a great idea and the pros of having cellphones greatly outweigh the cons of having cell phones in class. Smart phones such as iphones, are small, affordable, and useful tools to have in the classrooms.

Jeffrey D said...

Ms. Conmy,
Technology is a privilege, and also a responsibility. I believe that cell phones should be used in classrooms only to a certain extent. They can help establish trust between student and teacher, or make it easier for a student to communicate with a teacher. I personally experienced being in a situation where I forgot an assignment and was able to quickly find out what the assignment was through a text message. Can you imagine a student in that situation, having to rely on e-mail because he or she was unable to send a text message? Some good points were made in the article "Cell Phones Make Headway in Education". Sometimes cell phones can be a hazard, some students might treat them as toys and loose focus in class. Cells phones can be as easily misplaced or as easily broken. You just need to be able to take the opportunity seriously, and I personally would like to experience first hand.

DanteG said...

Darien,
I could not agree with you more. I believe that putting a block on distracting websites such as IM and social networks would help the students pay more attention during class. If it was possible, I would encourage all instructors to block those distracting websites. When those sorts of websites are unblocked, students have the opportunity to mess around in class and not pay attention. By approving of this action, students could be able to pay more attention. Because the students pay more attention, their grades in the class will noticeably rise.

stephen p said...

Ms. Conmy,
I believe that cell phone usage during class should not be allowed. Although I sometimes have my phone out in class because im texting someone or playing a game on it I don't think it should be aloud. In this article I read called "Pros and Cons of Cell Phone Usage in school" list some good things about cell phones in school and bad thinkgs about phones in school. In this article Beth Lynne states that an internet equipped cell phone is a cheaper source to the internet than a thousand dollar laptop and that cell phones with calculators would be cheaper than buying a two hundred dollar calculater. Obviously the bad reasons for phone usage in school is texting someone during class or texting someone answers on a test. Other bad reasons are looking up answers on the internet. Overall I do not think that cell phones should be permitted during class.

Jeffrey D said...

I agree with McBride, the type of cell phone plays another important role along with responsibility. It gives teachers their authority over students, and limits students' ability to do what they want.

Chris R said...

Peter DP,

I strongly disagree with you when you said that the pros of cell phones in the classroom outweigh the cons. I feel that the only pro of cell phone use in the classroomn is an easy accessability to the internet. I feel that cheating, a distraction during class, and internet abuse would outweigh the pros because cheating and internet abuse would cause a distraction during class, and a distraction could possibly cause a student to drop their grade rapidly. Although the internet is a good tool, I am not willing to risk my grades for it.

stephen p said...

Peter DP,
Pete I disagree withyou. I do not believe that the pros of having phones in class outwiegh the cons of having cell phones in class. I think it is just to easy to cheat on test with hhaving a phone that can reach the internet in an instant. I think that iphones can be useful for school during class but there are so many things that can distract a student from school.

AlbertInn123 said...

Stephen P,

I agree with your statement. In addtion, there is a major difference in price from an I-Phone to a fully loaded Mac, but this could be very distracting to the student as well to the teacher. Moreover, i think these new devices which are on the vanguard of the future in phones are just too easy to cheat with.

stephen p said...

Mcbride,
I agree and disagree with you. With itouches you can still access the internet to cheat on tests and you can also just not pay attention in class by playing games on the itouch. Having the itouch instead of the iphone is a good idea but you can still talk to you freinds on an email acount or an instant message acount. I still support my statement by saying that cell phones or any technological device should be not permitted in schools.

AlbertInn123 said...

Ms Conmy,

I have to disagree what u expressed in class about how there are more pro's then cons. The two most positive things to note are : the low cost and the quickness to reach the internet. On ther hand, cheating can be easily accesed even if you turn off the wifi students can text each other informing one another for the answer. A great thing that can happen is that someone comes up with a program that can somehow monitor what the student is doing on their phone and limit their actions. But, another con to this is that the teacher cant teach the class and stand by the computer and monitor every single student in the class.

Jeffrey D said...

Stephen,
You touched an interesting topic about teachers' authority. Even though the use of cell phones in class is a new idea it doesn't change anything. Teachers are still in charge and still need to be respected. You are still going to have those childish people who think they can do whatever, but at that point it is more a school policy thing and it's not about the cell phones.

stephen p said...

AlbertInn123,

Thank you for agreeing with me. I agree with everything that you have stated so far by saying that these devices are very distracting to a student and a teacher. I think if cell phones are permitted the gpa of students will decrease do to the distraction of phones. Cell phones are fun and are commonly used by students but i do not think that the students should be alloud to use them for school purposes.

Jeffrey D said...

Frank,
I agree with you about cheating. Cell Phones in class is going to make cheating easier, but if the thought of cell phones never came up would cheating still exist? Cell phone or no cell phone some students are still going to try to cheat. These "cheaters" know what they're doing and know the trouble they're going to get into, but you can't limit some because of one's bad decision.

Martinez said...

Ms. Conmy
I believe the idea of using cell phones in the classroom reall sparks my interest. It would make life so much easier for the average student financially and academiclly. Laptops are often too high priced for many and the fact that these "smart-phones" are less than 3/4 the price of one makes them that much more appealing. As for the idea of cheating with this tool I think that the honesty of students is under rated.

Michael D. said...

Mrs. Conmy, I believe that students should be allowed to use cellphones in the classroom. There should be some restrictions. For example, the students should not be allowed to use cellphones during assessments(tests, quizzes, etc.), and usage can be determined by the teacher. If the students failed to complete an assignment their privilege taken away.

Jerry O. said...

Ms. Conmy
I agree with you when you say that educators have to look at not only the negatives in allowing cell phones, but also the benefits. I strongly agree with the first article. I believe that students should be given a chance to prove the good that can come from being allowed to have cell phones during class. The use of cell phones in class would make everything easier for students and teachers, by allowing web access during class so that everything could be done without books or backpacks. I believe that cheating should not be a reason to not allow cell phones in class. There will be cheaters even if cell phones are not used in class. The person who cheats should be punished alone for his actions and this should not ruin the use of cell phones for everyone else. Why should everyone lose out on a great advancement in technology because of the actions of one person?

Jerry O. said...

Tom D
I strongly disagree; I believe that mixing cell phone use and education would be a great idea. Although some students would be distracted a good number of students would use this privilege of cell phone use in the classrooms to benefit their studies. Despite the distractions cell phone use could cause the teacher, there are also many advantages that can come from using cell phones in class, which outnumber the disadvantages of this privilege. So overall, why should something with more advantages than disadvantages not be allowed to be used?

Jerry O. said...

Smchugh
I disagree because I believe that it is as easy to monitor cell phones as it is to monitor laptops. When we are using laptops in class Ms. Conmy and Mrs. Nelson walk around making sure we are not doing anything were not supposed to. This would be the same with cell phones. If someone was texting they would not have time to delete their inbox, because they would be too afraid of getting caught, so if this student is caught all the evidence is in his inbox. So I believe that cheating should not be a factor in preventing the use of cell phones in class, because it will occur no matter what.

Jerry O. said...

Laurence B
I agree with you one hundred percent. I believe that if we are allowed to use laptops then we should be allowed to use cell phones. Laptops are easier to cheat on due to the fact they are most of the time faster because they were built to search the web unlike the cell phone in which the web is only an extra feature. I also strongly agree with your second point a cheater will always find a way to cheat, no matter if it's online with a laptop, if it's in a book, or even if it's with a cell phone, cheating will always be present. That is why I believe that cheating should be disregarded in deciding whether cell phone should be allowed in class.

Michael D. said...

Kevin Ferry, I agree with you in the respect of SOME students taking advantage of this, but I disagree that cellphones should not be allowed because it can benefit education so much more.

Martinez said...

Dante
I disagree with your thoughts on cheating in the classroom. For starters it would be ridiculous to think that cell-phones would be allowed during tests. However that is the whole idea of cheating. I mean lets face it, teenagers can be pretty slick. There is a simple solution to this though. During the times in a classroom where there wold be fear of cheating the phones could simply be collected and then be given back at the approprite time.

Martinez said...

Michael D.
I agree with your ideas for when the phones should be restricted. However I also disagree with the idea of the phones being taken. Most of the phones being used in the classroom would be payed for by students so it would be irrational for teachers to take them for an indefinite amount of time.

Matthew Del Signore said...

Jerry, I agree with both the points you put forward. I agree that a cheater will always find a way to cheat, and taking away a cell phone isn't going to stop a cheater. I also agree that if we are allowed to use laptops then we should be allowed to use cell phones, because laptops can be used to cheat faster and easier than a cell phone.

Michael D. said...

Stephen Scanlon, I disagree with not using cellphones because in this situation there may be some ways to cheat, the prospect of having cell phones in the class room opens up a whole new world of learning for students and teachers alike.

Martinez said...

Jerry
I stongly agree with your idea about cheaters. Also I believe that if laptops are used then cell phones should definitely be allowed because laptops are faster and a much easier way to cheat. Using Facebook on a laptop gives access to the instant meesenger feature which is much faster then text messaging and e-mailing.

Michael D. said...

Martinez, I did not mean that the phones would be taken away just that the privilege would be taken away. That entails the student not being allowed to use the phone or be taken away for the rest of the day.

carl d said...

AlbertInn123,
I also agree on your points that you make. Such as, you talk about how they are a very inexspensive way to get onto the internet especially in today's world. Also that someone should create a program to veiw. One could make a program that the teacher could turn on that would restrict certain or all messages or websites. Overall, I thought that you posted a well written comment.

Martinez said...

Michael D.
If cell-phones were to be allowed in the classroom it would mean that a substantial amount of a students work would be dependent on the tool. Taking away their privilege while the rest of their classmates continued to maintain their own privileges would be unfair and would in fact cripple them academiclly for whatever amount of time.

carl d said...

Michael D,
I agree that there should be some sortr off punishment if a student is caught. Maybe something like here at the Prep, where a parent must come into school and pick it up for them. How would one figure out that someone was texting besides walking around the classroom.

carl d said...

Martinez,
I disagree on your comment on Dante. No one will know if u slip it out and hide it from the teacher. If one was to take it out during a test i am pretty sure that they would make sure they weren't seen. Don't you agree? Also I still think they should still be able to use it a a calculator/notepad just by restricting them to only those features. I believe that technologists have made these advances in this field and made it possible to have a restriction on certain features. For the most part, I disagree with your post.

Matthew Del Signore said...

Carl, I agree that if a cell phone is overused in a classroom there should be a punishment, but i still believe that they should be allowed in a classroom as long as it does not bother other students or the teacher.

Anthony Capelli said...

Matt DelSignore,

I agree that if we are allowed to use laptops, we should be allowed to use phones also. However, when I put myself in the shoes of a teacher, I do not want my students cheating at all. I still think that action should be taken to make it impossible to cheat. Somehow make it so we can only use our devices for educational purposes.

Anonymous said...

Jerry
I view your point of view in a similar way as well. For instance those that have laptops in the school right now save about carrying 4-5 notebooks. also it allows for neater notes that can be easily transferred to any device in a short amount of time and can be printed for binders. Now imagine if we could use cell phones for class assignments. they would allow us to connect with other students in other classes for help with projects and such. If students want to cheat they should have to deal with y themselves and have others suffer the consequence as well. Just so that cheaters will not benefit from test scores also teachers can make it a requirement that students bring their cellphones to class on daily bases and when test or a segment of the class appears in which they are not needed confiscate them till the end of class. So misusing technology in class is not a good enough reason of an alibi to me.

Anthony Capelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anthony Capelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Michael
Your point shows us that technology can be used now in classrooms. Mos teachers will not allow these items because of disturbances such as calling and texting. But if the assignment as mandatory and due for that class in that day then no time would be spent texting. If any thing we will end up texting each other. Which is considered a distraction still but if based around the rules a stated earlier that would end up texting for help. Sort of a in class tutor for quick help. This goes out to all teachers; if technology is not being used in your classroom now why isn't? Is it because of fear of having such distractions or cheating or any thing that might fall under what I say. Well then it is not an excuse. Times are changing and along with the methods of learning shall eventually succumb to these methods. You are just pushing back at a water fall, no matter how much you can stop, there will always be a never ending supply of new generations changing everything as we know. So adapting as fast as possible is the only way to get as much as we can out of this world as possible.

GordonK said...

Mrs.Nelson,
When it comes to cell phones in the classroom, I believe that they are both a benefit and a burden. I believe that when used in the right situations, and the right way, cell phones are an important device that can be used to further advance the learning of students.
Cell phones are amazing with the advancements they are equipped with these days. Phones such as palm-pilots, the more familiar blackberry, and the iphone all have something in common: internet. I believe that the internet of the cell phones is equivalent to that of a laptop, however in a more convenient and smaller space. if laptops and computers are allowed, why aren't the small, convenient sources of internet allowed?
I do, however, believe that the disadvantages to cell phones are great as well. In class time, the students can use cellphones to communicate, distracting them from the lesson at hand. during tests as well, students can access their phones, making texts and e-mails to each other, possibly giving answers. Although the advantages may be great, cheating far outweighs the advantages of having a convenient source of information.
This does not mean that cell phones in the classroom is an unrealistic goal. I believe that in a classroom where the teacher trusts the students, cell phones can be completely beneficial. For example, if a collage classroom was provided with phones for all of the students, then every student would come prepared to every class with their phone. When class begins, if the teacher was to tell the students to place their phones on their desks, there would be no way for a student to use their phone without the teacher knowing. During tests, the teacher could simply take all of the students phones, and place them in a pile. Because all of the students would have phones, there would be no excuse for not handing one in, and no student could keep a phone for cheating.
If a situation as such was to be applied to the classroom, there would be a small chance of cellphones being abused and used for cheating.
cell phones are new, fun, and resourceful - why not use them?

Keith H. II said...

Gerald Orlando,
I disagree with you because there will be cheaters and the teachers will only be able to catch a handful ofthem. Some kids will find a way how to beat the system abd they will be cheating on everything they can. I know this because in grade school some kids used their phones to cheat and they never got caught, they would even tell other students the answers. So i think in the long run it won't be worth it because there will always be kids too lazy to put the time in to memorize the material and they will just cheat.

Keith H. II said...

Anthony "Big Daddy Capellsta" Capelli,
I totally agree with you. Cell phones are too big of a distraction and your idea to block service in the classroom is great. I think cell phone services should work on that and come up with a foolproof way of doing so. When services come up with that, then schools could look into trying it out. For now schools are better off the way they are. I'm sure that Albert Einstein didn't learn using cell phones so why should we. Schools are fine the way they are.

Keith H. II said...

DJ Gleason,
I agree with you, cell phones are definetley distracting. There are too many possibilities of cheating. There is no real need for them. Our teachers didn't used them and they definetley did not turn out stupid, obviously cause they are teaching us. I'm trying to say that until there is a reason to change teaching techniques, we should stick to the basics. Of course there are some good things about using cell phones in class rooms, but there are too many negatives about them.

Ed K. said...

Ryan J,
I disagree with you because I think that cell phones would be in the classroom. They would be because it could bring about much easier obtainable infromation. I do not think that they would bring about major problems but only some minor problems.

Ed K. said...

Juan O,
I agree with you because information can be pbtained through a cell in minutes. Also the infromation is easily accesible and can be transferred simply to another device.

Martinez said...

Carl D.
I think you are right about cheaters, but I still stand by my thoughts on the phones being collected. Seeing as most people would take advantage of this tool it would be easy to tell if anyone tried to hide theirs. The instructor could simply count the number of cell phones collected and judge by that number if anyone did not hand theirs in.

matt m said...

Anthony "Big Daddy Capellsta" Capelli,
I agree with everything you say. You state a very good point that having cell phones is a major distraction. Gee wizz, if I had a cell phone? I would probably get 20 text per minute from a girl at Merion Mercy or a Shawnee Public school young woman. It would be totally un-called for. Alough I wouldn't be able to "Tube" for videos and check the Denver Nuggets homepage, not having portable calling devices in class would be a good idea. Also referring to my previous comment, not all of us can afford them. So we wouldn't want those who can't to feel left out. Thank you for your time.

Peace, Love, Serenity.

- Matthew J. Mifka

Student at St. Joseph 's Preparatory School
1733 Girard Avenue

Philadelphia , PA 19130

E: matthew_mifka@sjprep.org

"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply.

Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God."

Tim B. said...

Ms. Conmy,
I think that cell phones should not be used in the classroom. Cheating would be one issue, but they would be playing games and probobly asking to use Iphones and other peices of technology. I think that the students would take advantgae of the cell phones and it would be a disturbance. Another reason I think that they should not be used is that I can't see the advantages of having cell phones in the classroom. It would be too disruptive to have cell phones in class.

James Udovich said...

Ed Kozubal,

I agree that it would be likely that anyone cheating could be easily caught because the evidence is easily obtained from the phone. I think, for that reason, cellphones should be permitted. Using cellphones as a tool for cheating is definately wrong, but it already happens. Allowing kids to utalize the things they have can help in the classroom. The key isn't banning cellphones, it's just stepping up with the security of unrightful usage of cellphones.

Anthony Capelli said...

Darien,

I agree. Not only could we possibly cheat with our cell phone, but they are also a major distraction. WIth service blocked, there is no temptation to text a Lenape girl, check the score of the Bobcats game, update my status to say I'm bringing sexy back, check the weather in Wisconsin, check the stock on H&R Block, or send pictures of me brushing my teeth to my Grandma (she wants to make sure I'm keeping up with my dental hygiene). All of my attention can be directed towards my lovely and intelligent teachers, Mrs. Conmy and Mrs. Nelson.

B. West said...

Ms. Conmy,
I agree with your post in many ways. The use of cellphones in the classroom or any school-related place is misunderstood most of the time. Although they can be a distraction, the use of cellphones are an advantage when it comes to learning in technology and also other classes as well. The article posted as well is interesting and a way of learning that I have never thought of.

Tim B. said...

Ms. Conmy,
I think that cell phones should not be used in the classroom. Cheating would be one issue, but they would be playing games and probobly asking to use Iphones and other peices of technology. I think that the students would take advantgae of the cell phones and it would be a disturbance. Another reason I think that they should not be used is that I can't see the advantages of having cell phones in the classroom. It would be too disruptive to have cell phones in class.

Darien B said...

DJ Gelson,
Thank you Dante but once again this can be benefiting the class room with the use of cell phones. The kids throughout the classroom just have to be mature enough to use this privilege wisely. By wisely I mean doing things that pertain to the classroom discussion. With this being said it is obvious that I am a supporter of this idea but certain blocks or “guidelines” must be put into place in order for this idea to be productive.

matt b said...

Martinez

I think that you’re right about how during test and quizzes that the cell phones should be collected. Though that does not solve the problem of students texting, playing video games, and searching the internet. If those problems could be solved than I think that cell should be allowed in high schools. This way the students will not be able to be distracted by other accessories that these smart phones offer.

Ryan J. said...

James Udovich,

I tend to disagree with what you said, that students could easily be caught cheating. I think that there is already enough cheating with cell phones as it is and using cell phones in everyday class would just cause a much bigger problem. Cell phones should be only kept in school bags for emergencies only during school hours.

matt b said...

Tim B.

I agree with you that cell phones should not be used in high schools, because students at the age are not responsible enough to be able to not be distracted by the other accessories that these smart phones offer. But I do think that students that go to collages should be able to have cell phone because they are mostly over the age of 18 and considered adults, so I think that they should be able to have these phones in the class room.

Ryan J. said...

Ed Kozubal,

I do not think cell phones would work to well in the classroom on an everyday basis. Even though internet can bae accessed very easily, you can just do that with a computer or laptop. Phones would just be a problem and even if they are small problems they can lead to larger problems. There is to many irresponsible students, especially, in high school, that would not be focused on what is going on in the class room and all worried about their phone and the new text message they got.

Ryan J. said...

Matt B. ,

I agree with you. I think that phones would cause much to big of a proble in high school, but in college the students are adults and should be responsible enough to be trusted. They would definitely cause a huge proble with cheating, which would lead to much farther and bigger consequences.

Darien B said...

B. West,

As stated in the article that there is easy excess with smart phones and also the iPhone to the internet. This can electronically help schools to save time used on the computers and laptops used in school. For instance if a student needs to use the internet to look something up for a class this device, the smart phone, can help the student if all computers are taken. Especially with the use of Wi-Fi which aid students on accessing the internet at any given time within’ a certain radius of the server which is provided by the school.

Chris R said...

Ryan J,

I agree with you when you said that cell phones would cause a big problem in the classroom in the regards of cheating. I also agree with you when you said that college students can be trusted to use the technology properly. College students are technically adults and should act responsibly. Finally, I agree that cheating si the beginning of all problems in the classroom. First becomes cheating, then internet abuse and a distraction during class. I feel that if technology can be used properly in the classroom, it would help to augment the grades of students everywhere.

Elio P. said...

Technology can be a great tool for school from a students point of view. But, I think it is a bad idea. Also, from a teachers view, it is a horrible idea. There are going to be the people that will abuse the privilege to have a cell phone during school. Everyone is going to cheat if they are allowed to use cell phones. Also, not everyone has the same phone. Some cell phones have internet and others don't. My phone does not have the internet on it, so it would be useless to have it in class. Then, some people do not have a cell phone. What are they going to do. Lose out on an oppertunity. That would not be fair. Also, then there will be the rules on what kind of phone you are allowed to have. If you do not have that kind of phone, what are you going to do? People do not have the money to be buying different phones. Also, people are going to be texting like crazy. Especially while taking a test. Then, people with the internet would go on Facebook and Myspace during school. Then, having cell phone in school does have some advantages. People can put documents into then cell phones or use flash cards to hold documents. In the article, it says that some school was giving away Iphones to the students. That would be cool, but not every school has the money to do that. Also, some of the schools are following them. Overall, I think cell phones are bad for a student to have in the class room.

Shamus C said...

Ms. Conmy,
I believe that cell phone usage should be prevented inside classrooms. I have witnessed many students this year using their cell phones to text during class which can become a disturbance for the teacher and the other students. If cell phone usage was permitted during class, i believe that the number of these situations would increase. If students were using iPhones, it would be very easy to save a web page that has information that is needed for a test and cheat on the test. In my grade school, many students would use web enabled phones to find answers for tests and exams and text the information to other students who are taking the same test. I think it would be very hard for educators to prevent this form of using phones. However, I do think that most students would take advantage of being able to use their phones, but a small percentage would ruin the opportunity for everyone by cheating. Overall, I believe that students should not be able to use cell phones in class.

Shamus C said...

Elio P.,
I totally agree with what you posted. One of the points that you bring up happens very often during our own computer class. The ability to use Facebook and Myspace would become a huge disadvantage and problem during class time. During this class, I witness many students going on these websites and other similar websites while the teacher is talking or teaching. This also happens in a few other classes of mine in which students use their laptops to play games and go on instant messenger during class time. Imagine if every student for every class had the ability to use the internet. There would be chaos. Students would then not pay attention in class and perform badly on tests and quizzes. I believe that there is no need for cell phones in classes.

Elio P. said...

Gentleman Jerry Orlando,
I disagree with that having a cell phone during class will get rid of book bags and books. How are people going to read things off little screens. There are still going to be textbooks and workbooks. How would people do homework on computers and it would take forever to do homework on it anyways. Also, I disagree with that everyone should lose out because of one person. Everyone is going to cheat and go on websites. People do it know in school even thought we are not allowed to. Even, you would cheat.

Shamus C said...

Jerry O.,
I have to disagree with the points that you mention. When you say that students will cheat whether cell phones are used or not, I believe that the amount of cheating will increase if these phone are prohibited. I also feel that students aren't missing out on a great opportunity. We have all gone to school, taken notes in class, studied, and performed well on tests and classes in the past, so why change a formula that is already perfected? Cell phone usage is uncalled for and a disturbance in class when they are not permitted, imagine what will happen when they are permitted.

Tim B. said...

Matt b
I agree with you and think that colleges should be allowed to use cell phones becuase college students want to be there and I am sure that they would want to do well there. However, I think that most highschool students are not mature enough to use a cell phone in the class without using it for different purposes.

Tim Browne said...

Unlike Carl, I do not think this a good idea whatsoever. Allowing students to use technology is one thing, but allowing them to use the Internet is entirely different. If a student was given permission to use the Internet during class, that student would be tempted to do things he never would have been tempted to do before. Permitting the use of the Internet in class is encouraging cheating, plagiarism, and not paying attention. If you ask 10 kids that have laptops at the Prep if they go on websites they shouldn't be on during class, I guarentee 7 of them will respond yes. All-in-all, I think this idea is horrible, and I am willing to argue with anyone about this topic.

Tim B. said...

Gordon K
I agree with you in that cell phones should not be used but not for the reason that you think they shouldn't. You had said that cell phones could be useful but the option of cheating prohibits the teachers and school from letting us use them. I think that they should not be used just because they are a distraction. If there was a way to get around that i think they could be used but i also think that there is no way to get around it. Students could easily text eachother under their desks, or play games. Cheating is just another reason why cell phones should not be used in the classroom.

Tim B. said...

Peter DP
I completly disagree with you mostly because you presented no argument. If you could explain to me why cell phones are a good tool to have I would see your perspective. An I phone would be a disruptive tool in the classroom becuase it would distract kids from paying attention and doing their work. They would play games and go on the internet. It would also be easier to cheat with a cell phone or I phone. Is it really worth having a cell phone in the classroom when you are encouraging cheating and losing the attention of the class?

Elio P. said...

Shamus C. I agree with you 100.1%. You bring up an excellent point about the laptops. People in our school take advantage of laptops in our school today. Everyone who has a laptop, plays games. And if everyone played games, the class would be in chaos like what you said.

Shamus C said...

Peter DP,
I disagree with the comment you have made when you say that smart phones such as the iPhone are affordable. 200 dollars is a lot of money for some people and a monthly bill of roughly 50 to 60 dollars adds up quickly. Some students aren't able to afford technology that is being used now, so how do you expect them to start using a smart phone? I know that some students can afford them but it is very unfair for those who can afford it to use them but those who aren't as wealthy aren't able use them. It creates more disadvantages on top of the other issues that I have already mentioned such as cheating or not paying attention. I still feel that cell phones shouldn't be able to be used during class.

Elio P. said...

Keith H ll,
I agree with you 169%. Albert Einstein didn't learn using cell phones so why should we. Schools are fine the way they are. Why ruin a "perfect formula" ( Shamus Clancy) that has been working for me has long as I been in school. If you think, the up-coming class of students are going to be stupid because they won't have to do any work. Then the world would be in chaos.

Elio P. said...

Jaun666OMEN,
I agree with you about the notebooks. It would save a lot of paper. But, then what happens if the phone runs out of battery, or if someone loses the cell phone. They lose all of the data on that little thing. Also, people would not be connecting to others for help on a project. They probably be asking help on a test or quiz. Even if they were asking for help on a project, Is that person going to forget what he is doing in that class, and help him. That would not be right for the teachers.

Brian A said...

Dear Alex,
I beg to differ. You are outrageous. I think i should be legal to downlaod music for free. It is not ripping any business off. The businesses still make so much money from people who don't do it illegally. The people who do it illegally are just really smart and they save so much money.

Brian A said...

Dear DanteG,
I really agree with you but there are so many ways to unblock those blocked websites. The average joe can go unblock any website. Plus the students would still be on games because there are a lot of ways to be able to play games on the computers. It would just distract the students from learning. That is the complete opposite of what the schools want. I think the old fashion way of teaching is just fine.

connorL said...

Mrs. Comny,

I, Connor Long believe that the cell phone would be allowed in the classroom in day to day situations under certain conditions the policies. The major opposition against the use of cell phones in class is obviously cheating and it will be very difficult to check and manage 20 boys at a time. So in order for this idea to work you must first, as a teacher must distill trust in your students and give them the respect that is needed. Then us students must give you the mutual respect and trust you deserve. Us as students must use these amazing devices wisely and with great honesty.
The second condition in using the cell phone in the classroom is the ability to use it at the right times. Students should use it for certain and specific reasons such as searching the web and email access etc... The students should not be aloud to use these devices during assignments, papers , quizzes etc... because of the great temptation and curiosity of a boy's mind(Cheating).

Brian A said...

Dear Kyle M
The teachers would have to trust the students a lot. But that would never happen. The students today are all about technology. So many of them would just take advantage of the resources at hand.

matt m said...

Wardell G,
I agree with your previous statement how cell phones are very important. Organizing your calander is a good idea and I like how you mentioned we can use them to our full ability. Personally, I'd like having cell phones in the classroom and assuming we can all afford them, it would actually be pretty sweet. Unfortunately as many people said, it is a major distraction. So overall I think it's best just to use computers as we our now.

connorL said...

Anthony Capelli

I couldn't agree more with your statement. With teenage boys there's just too many temptations with the constant use of the cell phone in the classroom environment. Students could go on websites that aren't necessary or relevant to the topic that we are discussing in class. Instead we should give are undivided attention to are wonderful teachers Mrs. Nelson and Mrs. Conmy

matt m said...

Brian A,
If we were to use cellphones in class, trust would be a major topic, your right. I'm not sure how we will earn that trust from the teachers, considering we just met them, but I say if we were to use cellphones in class the teachers would have to trust us.

matt m said...

Connor L,
Could you be any more correct? You really speak the truth, adding a monumental accompaniment when you affirm that we should enroll in a triumph of having cellular phones via classroom. Accordingly, an alternate conception can be staying with laptops, (as we are now), or possibly changing to cell phones, despite the fact of the pessimistic view people are putting on them. It's really not a terrible extravaganza indulging them into our classroom, but like Mrs. Nelson said "Unfortunately technology is very easy to abuse". Hence, we must leave it at that. Computers in class. Cell phones after school.

drew b. said...

Ms. Conmy

I agree and disagree with you on whether or not phones should be aloud in class. Now a days teens are using their phones as easier sources of cheating. If teachers cannot even trust a student with a laptop in class that is very visible, how can they trust students to not use phones for cheating when you can barely notice the phones. As most teachers know, if you give high school kids a little bit of freedom, they take advantage. This is why phones should not be aloud in high school. College students on the other hand, should be aloud to use phones because there are many tool and application that can be helpful. Also, in college the board of education has very strict policies on plagiarism and you can get kicked out if you are caught. So if you are willing to take the risk, go ahead.

drew b. said...

Ms. Conmy

I agree and disagree with you on whether or not phones should be aloud in class. Now a days teens are using their phones as easier sources of cheating. If teachers cannot even trust a student with a laptop in class that is very visible, how can they trust students to not use phones for cheating when you can barely notice the phones. As most teachers know, if you give high school kids a little bit of freedom, they take advantage. This is why phones should not be aloud in high school. College students on the other hand, should be aloud to use phones because there are many tool and application that can be helpful. Also, in college the board of education has very strict policies on plagiarism and you can get kicked out if you are caught. So if you are willing to take the risk, go ahead.

drew b. said...

Wardell,
How are you suggesting to keep track of 20-30 kids in a class to make sure that they are not using it for other things than research. Also, I thought they made something called a planner so that you can keep track of all of your passwords and other information

drew b. said...

Steve Scanlon,
I completely agree with you that they keep coming out with new technologies, but they are not coming out with things that will prevent things during class.

matt m said...

Timothy Burgoyne,
I accede your acknowledgement towards the idea of Cheating. Here at The Prep, Cheating is taken very seriously. It only takes two times in a matter of four years to discover some sincere consequences. In that case, I wish not yield obedience towards subduing my chances of leaving The Prep. In other words, I do not wish to expand my unforeseen chances of leaving The Prep over one text messege sent via cellphone during class sessions. Indefinitely, Mrs. Nelson and our class should stick to what we are doing, (using Computers not Cell Phones), therefore not being apprehensive for the safety of the factor of getting caught Cheating.

drew b. said...

Yuhana K.
Although you have a valid point, how many kids do you think actually would use their phone for something beneficial. Although students may use their phone for research, most kids will text someone or read their texts before they look for what they needed

Chris R said...

Darien B,

I agree with you whern you said that smart phones can help schools savbe time on the labtops and the school's computers. For example, if everyone had a smart phone, the time for work of a student would increase, and the time getting a labtop from the closet would decrease. Also, a student would not have to carry a heavy labtop around school. Smart phones are light and easy to carry. I believe that if Saint Joseph's Prep gave all of us smart phones, the more work and greater quality of work would be done.

Wardell G. said...

Matt M,
Thanks for agreeing with me but you also stated that we should just use computers like we have been but as you can see computers are a distraction too. Most people use their computers for video chatting and online games. As I stated previously there are going to be perks within the whole process but overall I think cell phones are going to be way more adequate than laptops.

GordonK said...

Tim B,

It is true to say that students would have the chance to play games and text during class, but at whose risk but their own? Although it is every teachers dream for all of their students to have A's, the teachers would have to let the students do as they wish with their phones. Hopefully, the students would learn on their own that playing games and texting is not the best way to use the advanced technology.

of course, I am not saying that the cell phones in the classroom would be at all successful, for their are way to many disadvantages, so I do agree when you say that they would prove to be inefficient.

GordonK said...

Mrs.Nelson

Another key point to remember is that the smart phones will not drift into the classrooms over night. Slowly, the transition might be made. In order for this to happen, an individual school, or even a classroom would have to open the doors to this new technology, accepting the faults that would follow, such as cheating and distractions.

As David B said, even today in our education technology class, laptops are being abused for games while class is in session. The phones would be virtually the same as the laptops, with a few differences, such as an easier communication system (texting), and phones can be easily hidden under desks, giving the student a cover for hiding their phones.

Wardell G. said...

Drew B,
It is obvious that all students are going to take advantage of this situation negatively but I’m sure that is only going to be a slight few. Most kids in college and high school want to learn and will not do anything to jeopardize their integrity.
You also stated that a planner was made to keep your passwords and such but suppose you are rushing to catch a bus and you drop it. That is too much information to lose. In this case a cell phone which easily stores data and is lockable and if lost or stolen, most insurance will cover it is the obvious better choice.
Personally, I think cell phones are the most dominant and upcoming piece of technology in my eyes. They have made reaching family members easier for people and now they are fighting its way into making school work easier for people.

matt m said...

Wardell G,
I see your point. I didn't realize that before. Now that I think about it, a lot of kids do log on Facebook, Youtube..etc. Maybe you changed my outlook on this whole topic. I Now have a new perspective. Since computers and cell phones are both distractions, I can see how using cell phones would be a benefit to the class. Why not right? That's if we all have them. I'm sure we all do and if so, maybe a class survey would be appropriate?

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 204   Newer› Newest»